COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions




  1. My work location is Tucson, Arizona. Would it be possible for me to work remotely from another location?

An employee may work remotely from another location however their work location does not change.  If an employee is wanting to work remotely from a different state, they should contact HR to ensure that the correct withholdings are withheld and reported from their paychecks.  Employees that leave the country should contact HR.  Please be aware of any regulations or border closings that would not allow someone to return to their main work location when required. 

  1. What happens if I can't work because my children are at home?  (updated 3/25/2020)

If an employee's position allows them to work full time remotely, they must use their accrued sick leave or vacation leave if for some reason they can't perform that work.  This applies to employees with children and those without children.  AURA is providing employees who are parents of children in school latitude and flexibility to get their work done and meet their parental demands. 

  1. I'm currently a full-time Remote Teleworker, do I need to fill out the Emergency Teleworking form?

If you already have a teleworking agreement on file, you do not need to fill out the Emergency Teleworking Agreement.

  1. Where is the emergency telework agreement and who needs to fill it out?

The emergency telework agreement can be found at All US-based and expat employees working remotely who are not already on a teleworking agreement should complete this form at their earliest convenience.

  1. When will employees return to working in the office or on-site?

Given the nature of this pandemic we are unable to accurately predict when employees will be able to return to working in the office. It is important that you set up your workspace comfortably and safely to prepare for an extended period of working from home.

  1. If I’m working from home and I get hurt while performing work duties, am I eligible for worker's compensation?

Employees who are injured while performing work duties may be eligible for worker's compensation and benefits. Please ensure that you do have a safe and ergonomically correct work set up as we do care about your safety.  If you are injured while working, please contact HR right away.

  1. What if I don’t have enough work to do from home?

If your job has been primarily done at a work-site,  there may still be catch-up work, training or projects that can be done at home. Your manager will work with HR should there still be a gap in work hours and we may provide you with an alternative timecard charge number.

  1. How do I complete my timecard if I’m working from home?

You would continue to book your time in the appropriate categories. If you have questions, please contact your manager and they can work with HR if necessary.

  1. What happens if I get a paper paycheck?

Please contact Payroll to assure that your check will be mailed to your home address.

  1. How can I sign up for a direct deposit and how long does it take to be effective?

You can sign up for direct deposit by visiting Ultipro and changing that under my personal information.  It takes one full pay cycle for the change to be effective so you will receive a paper check for one cycle.

  1. I have scheduled a vacation; can I cancel my vacation?

You should contact your manager to discuss your vacation plans and cancel vacation requests.  Employees working remotely are not on vacation and are expected to work as if in the office.

  1. I am a visa holder with an upcoming renewal.  What is the impact of my obtaining a renewal?

The USCIS has announced a Temporary Suspension of Premium Processing for All I-129 and I-140 Petitions Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic.  Please contact your HR Representative to discuss your specific case.

  1. Can my manager keep me from personal travel?

While your manager cannot keep you from making personal travel plans, at AURA your safety is our utmost concern.  The US State Department is advising against all international travel. Please refer to the US State Department and the CDC for more travel related information.

  1. Will my vacation still stop accruing at 384 hours?

This AURA policy for vacation accrual will not change.  Employees located in Colorado and all of NSO are capped at 384 hours accrual and all other employees cannot carry more than 384 hours in the next calendar year. 

  1. Can I donate my sick or vacation time to an employee who needs it?

HR is currently evaluating this as an option, more will be announced in the coming days.

  1. Can employees set up a donation fund to help staff that are financially impacted? (I.e. spouse/partner is now out of work)

This is a noble gesture from individuals to assist their fellow employees in need. However, given the accounting and financial liabilities that come with such a well-meaning activity; it is encouraged that individuals should keep all fundraising activities outside of the workplace and utilize existing crowdfunding platforms such as “Go Fund Me”. Communication channels such as Slack may be used to help facilitate messaging for this purpose.

  1. Can I withdraw monies from my 401(a) or 403(b)?

On March 13, 2020, President Trump declared a national state of emergency to address the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. While this action will provide additional emergency funding and waive regulatory hurdles for testing and care, it does not enable participants to request hardship withdrawals in 401(a) or 403(b) plans or change the general standards for approving unforeseen emergency withdrawals from 457(b) plans.

  1. How do I change my investment choices in my 401(a) or 403(b) and how do I change my contribution amount for my 403(b)? (updated 3/26/2020)

You will want to contact Fidelity at   If you scroll to the bottom of the screen you will  choose to either change your contributions or change your investments. You will then log-in and be able to make updates.

  1. What if someone I work with has tested positive for COVID-19?

We must be vigilant with other people’s personal health information. Please inform your manager and HR. They will work with the impacted employee.

  1. What if I have tested positive for COVID-19?

You should contact your manager and HR as soon as possible. Remember to safeguard your personal health information and only inform your supervisor and HR.  HR and your manager will ask you for a list of employees you’ve come in contact with within the last 14 days. The manager will not use your name but will inform the employees that they may have come in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19.  Please follow all your healthcare professional's recommendations. 

  1. What if I have a suspected case of COVID-19?

You should follow the same recommendations as above. 

  1. If I or one of my employees has tested positive for COVID-19, do I need to inform the Centers for Disease Control or my local health office?

The employee’s healthcare professional will inform the proper authorities.

  1. Can I refuse to come into work if I fear an infection?

Please discuss this with your manager and HR. We will work on a collaborative solution.

  1. Is a COVID-19 test covered by my insurance?

If you are covered by one of our medical plans then your test would be covered by insurance.

  1. Would my treatment for COVID-19 be covered by insurance?

If you are covered by one of our medical plans the treatment for COVID-19 would be covered in the same way as any other illness or injury. Please refer to our benefits site for more information on your plan.  Testing for COVID-19 would be covered without copays or deductible.

  1. Would I be covered by the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) if I don’t work?

FMLA provides job protection for employees who are unable to work because of their own or a family member’s serious illness. If you or a family member have COVID-19 you will be covered by FMLA and should contact HR.

  1. The US Federal Government passed a new law that may provide emergency leave and benefits do I qualify for this leave?

The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA”) was signed into law on March 18, 2020, and generally requires employers with less than 500 employees to provide a certain amount of paid sick and paid leave to employees affected by COVID-19, and provides affected employers with a corresponding employment tax credit. 

  • AURA employs more than 500 employees and this law does not apply to AURA.   
  • Employees that need to take leave due to a COVID-19 should contact HR to discuss your specific circumstances.
  1. What other resources are available for my health and wellbeing during this crisis?

Please see the resources listed at  We have several helpful resources including, Telemed, Employee Assitance Programs, wellness programs, and disease prevention programs.

  1. How do I change my HSA contributions? (New 3/26/20)

To update your HSA contributions please complete the HSA Change form found at  This is a fillable PDF form that can be be completed and sent to

  1. How does this impact me if I’m part-time? (New 3/26/20)

Your work status will not change, and your benefit status will not change either. Please work with your manager to determine what work can be done remotely and if there are any changes to your schedule. Your manager should contact HR if there are additional questions.

  1. If I have an H1-B visa, can I work remotely?

Under normal circumstances, H1B workers are restricted to worksites listed on the Labor Condition Application filed with the US Department of labor. The H1B regulations however, allow H1B workers to work remotely temporarily if the new workplace is within commuting distance.

  1. If I have a COVID-19 Safety Code on my timesheet, under what circumstances should this be used?

The code should be used if you are unable to report to work and your work cannot be conducted remotely.  If you have the ability to complete a portion(s) of your work remotely, the amount of time that you enter on your timecard should be split between the COVID-19 code and other appropriate codes.


  1. May I go home to my country of origin? (updated 04/01/2020)

This matter should be discussed with your manager and HR. This decision is a highly personal one, and your decision depends on your needs and the needs of your family.  “Exit from Chile is still possible but limited to the reduced schedules of the airlines.”

  1. Can I work remotely?

Yes, indeed, all the Chilean hires/Expats are working from home by teleworking. Scientific staff, Software Engineers and Engineers are normally entitled to work remotely.

  1. Where is the emergency telework agreement and who needs to fill it out?

The emergency telework agreement can be found here. Any employee working remotely who has not not already completed a teleworking agreement should complete this form at their earliest convenience. All US-based employees and Expats should fill out this form.

  1. Is there a curfew? What do I do if I have an emergency during curfew?

Ex-Pats Residents in La Serena be aware that  there is curfew from 22:00 pm until 05:00 am and it is prohibited to be on the street during these hours. If you have a medical emergency you should drive directly to the Clinic .You must carry with you your Blue RUT Card for you and every member of your family who is travelling with you. Be sure to drive with your windows down. Drive very slowly, and to stop at any police or army checkpoint.  You should then explain that you are going to the clinica.

  1. If I live on the Recinto how do I receive packages/delivery? (updated 3/31/2020)

This question is being investigated and will be updated when there is a resolution.  


  1. Mi lugar de Trabajo es en Cerro Tololo o Cerro Pachón, ¿sería posible para mi trabajar en forma remota desde otra locación?

Precisamente el trabajo remoto permite hacerlo desde un lugar distinto al lugar habitual de trabajo. Es por ello que desde el 16 de marzo de 2020 AURA-O, considerando los avances de la pandemia en el país, ha solicitado que todo el personal que pueda, trabaje en forma remota desde sus casas y aquellos que no pueden hacerlo, deben permanecer en sus domicilios para ser contactados por su Supervisor en caso de requerir su presencia en las instalaciones del empleador, obviamente dentro de los horarios normales de trabajo. 

  1. Actualmente me encuentro trabajando en forma remota, ¿debo firmar algún documento?

Sí, todo el personal que no estaba exceptuado de la limitación a la jornada de trabajo (por el Articulo 22 incisos segundo o tercero) debe firmar un anexo de contrato para trabajo remoto o para quedar “de llamada”. Los anexos de contrato fueron enviados por Recursos Humanos por correo electrónico a todo el personal que debe firmarlo y se solicitó que devolvieran una copia firmada. Además el anexo otorga cobertura de accidentes laborales.

  1. Es necesario registrar la asistencia diaria en geovictoria?

Desde el 16 de marzo y hasta que la gerencia de AURA-O lo indique, todo el personal que haya firmado el anexo de contrato quedó liberado de la limitación de jornada conforme lo dispuesto en el Artículo 22 del Código del Trabajo, es decir que pueden realizar su trabajo en forma remota a través de medios electrónicos y por lo tanto no tienen que registrar su asistencia. Lo anterior se puede ver alterado próximamente con la entrada en vigencia y posterior aplicación de la Ley 22.120 sobre teletrabajo. Las nuevas condiciones conforme a la reciente ley serán informadas oportunamente.

  1. ¿Cuándo los Trabajadores podrán volver a trabajar a sus oficinas o lugares habituales de trabajo?

La dirección de AURA-O está permanentemente monitoreando la situación regional, nacional e internacional y se informará acerca del retorno a las actividades normales con la debida anticipación, por correo electrónico. Por ahora es importante que usted mantenga un espacio de trabajo seguro y confortable en su hogar.

  1. Si estando trabajando en forma remota me enfermo o me accidento dentro de mi casa, ¿estoy cubierto por mi sistema de salud o por la mutualidad de empleadores?

El trabajador que desempeña sus labores en modalidad a distancia o teletrabajo, está cubierto por el seguro de la ley 16.744, tanto por los accidentes producidos a causa o con ocasión del trabajo, como por las enfermedades que sean causadas de manera directa por el ejercicio de la profesión o trabajo ejercido” (circular SUSESO N°3370)

  1. ¿Que sucede si no tengo suficiente trabajo que hacer desde mi casa?

Si su trabajo debe ser realizado principalmente dentro del establecimiento del empleador (la Serena o montaña), es probable que haya algunas cosas por hacer aparte de estar disponible para ser llamado dentro de su horario de trabajo, como por ejemplo capacitación en programas internos como Ultipro para hacer la evaluación del desempeño, geovictoria, reqless, timekeeping, o en cursos on-line que puedan ser acordados con su supervisor. En este último caso deben enviar un correo a Viviana Ibarra con, al menos, 4 días de anticipación al inicio del curso para poder inscribirlo en Sence.

  1. ¿Como debo llenar mi tarjeta de Tiempo (webtime sheet)?

La tarjeta de tiempo (web timesheet) se debe seguir haciendo en forma quincenal, de la misma manera que lo hace hoy día.  La tarjeta debe ser coincidente con la información de geovictoria.

  1. ¿Qué pasa con los pagos de sueldos y anticipos?

Los procesos de sueldos y anticipos se mantienen sin variación de acuerdo a las fechas establecidas en el calendario de pagos. Por ejemplo, con fecha 25 de marzo se pagaron los sueldos de Marzo 2020. Lo anterior, es sin perjuicio que en el futuro puedan producirse cambios legales en Chile y/o en las normas federales Norteamericanas.

  1. Si yo tengo solicitadas vacaciones o permisos, ¿debo cancelarlas?

Si usted solicitó vacaciones y las utiliza no debe cancelarlas. Si usted había solicitado vacaciones en forma anticipada y llegada la fecha no podrá hacer el viaje o las actividades previstas, debe avisarle a su supervisor y a Victoria Rabuco que requiere anular la solicitud.

  1. ¿Qué sucede si alguien con quien trabajo ha dado positivo por COVID-19?

Debemos estar atentos a la información de salud de otras personas. Por favor, informe a su gerente y al departamento de recursos humanos, para tomar las medidas de trabajo con el empleado afectado.

  1. ¿Qué pasa si he dado positivo por COVID-19?

Primero que todo debe presentar su licencia médica y después debe comunicarse con su gerente y con el departamento de Recursos Humanos lo antes posible. Recursos humanos y su gerente le pedirán una lista de los empleados con los que se ha puesto en contacto en los últimos 14 días. El gerente no usará su nombre, pero informará a los empleados que pueden haber estado en contacto con alguien que dio positivo por COVID-19.  Además es importante que siga todas las recomendaciones entregadas por las autoridades de la salud.

  1. ¿Puedo negarme a trabajar si temo una infección?

Conforme al artículo 184 bis del Codigo del Trabajo señala que el trabajador tendrá derecho a interrumpir sus labores y, de ser necesario, abandonar el lugar de trabajo cuando considere, por motivos razonables, que continuar con ellas implica un riesgo grave e inminente para su vida o salud. El trabajador que interrumpa sus labores deberá dar cuenta de ese hecho al empleador dentro del más breve plazo, el que deberá informar de la suspensión de las mismas a la Inspección del Trabajo respectiva.

AURA está enfocada en la salud de sus empleados, no pondrá, a sabiendas, a un empleado a una situacion donde pueda existir un daño. Discuta esto con su gerente y RRHH y trabajaremos en una solución colaborativa.

  1. ¿Qué otros recursos hay disponibles para mi salud y bienestar durante la crisis?

La Asociación Servicio de Bienestar de AURA, continuará otorgando sus prestaciones económicas contempladas en su Reglamento de Beneficios, pero todo a través de teleproceso.

  1. Si la empresa decide hacer teletrabajo, pero no se dan las condiciones en los hogares, ¿cuál es la opción para el trabajador?

Las partes pueden acordar “la prestación de servicios a distancia, en el domicilio del trabajador u otro medio alternativo, en tanto ello sea posible según las condiciones del lugar y la naturaleza del trabajo que realiza”.

  1.  ¿Es posible solicitar al trabajador que permanezca conectado permanentemente a la cámara de su computador?


  1. ¿Qué pasa si me accidento haciendo teletrabajo?

El trabajador que desempeña sus labores en modalidad a distancia o teletrabajo, está cubierto por el seguro de la ley 16.744, tanto por los accidentes producidos a causa o con ocasión del trabajo, como por las enfermedades que sean causadas de manera directa por el ejercicio de la profesión o trabajo ejercido” (circular SUSESO N°3370)

Se considerará accidente de trayecto aquel siniestro que el trabajador sufra en el trayecto directo, de ida o regreso, entre la habitación y el lugar, distinto de su habitación, en el que realice sus labores. También serán accidentes de trayecto aquellos que ocurran entre la habitación del trabajador y las dependencias de su entidad empleadora, aun cuando su domicilio haya sido designado como el lugar donde el trabajador desempeñará sus funciones. En tanto, los accidentes domésticos no gozan de cobertura.

  1. ¿Si el empleador decide cerrar el lugar de trabajo como medida de prevención, se ve afectada la remuneración con algún descuento?

Si la empresa estuvo cerrada por determinación unilateral del empleador, existirá obligación de remunerar dicho tiempo al trabajador. La situación es diferente si el cierre se decreta por la autoridad, caso en el cual la Dirección del Trabajo ha dicho que tal circunstacia reúne las caracterisicas de fuerza mayor y por lo mismo se suspenden los efectos de la relación laboral.

  1. ¿El empleador puede efectuar descuento en las remuneraciones si un trabajador no puede asistir a trabajar porque no tiene con quien dejar cuidando a sus hijos por la suspensión de clases?

Si un empleado no puede trabajar porque necesita cuidar de sus hijos, el empleado debe solicitar vacaciones.

  1. ¿Puede el empleador tomar la temperatura a sus trabajadores?

El Código del Trabajo señala que el empleador debe adoptar las medidas necesarias para proteger la vida y salud de los trabajadores, por lo que se estima que no existe inconveniente en que el empleador adopte como medida de protección que se tome la temperatura.

  1. ¿Las trabajadoras embarazadas se pueden ausentar producto del coronavirus?

Todo trabajador que se ausente del trabajo por motivo del coronavirus debe justificar su ausencia con la respectiva licencia médica, ya sea por contagio o como medida preventiva.